Hi, Hey, Hello!
That is a really aggressive title to come back with, but I can assure you that it is all book related and we are starting with a little reassessment of this year’s reading challenge, before I come at you people with an excessive amount of book reviews. Seriously, that is all that will be appearing on here for at least 10 days. I’ve read a lot of books what can I say?
I’ve read a lot of books that also aren’t currently ‘scheduled’ as it were. I didn’t even own a lot of them before they ended up just in my hands, being paid for and then being instantly read. This means that I’ve been doing a lot of contributing to my reading goal of 70 books this year, but it also means that I’ve been neglecting some books that I was ‘supposed’ to read.
Currently my 2018 Reading Challenge shelf on Goodreads is at 75. Don’t get me wrong, I can still maybe do that (even though I seem to be eternally 2 books behind schedule right now and have been since War Storm) but also there are 5 extra books on that list that I don’t need to read this year.
And that’s got me thinking about where I can potentially cut some stuff out…and also I know for a fact that I’m adding another book in there because I can’t not read it right now and there will be more on that later. So there’s some stuff that I don’t necessarily need to read this year…for some of them maybe never. Or at least not soon.
The books at risk are as follows (oh yeah, the list is here):
1) The Grapes of Wrath – This really does not feel like the place to start with when it comes to Steinbeck and also it’s so damn long. I want to read it, I really do, but then also I think I should start smaller when it comes to Steinbeck and this ain’t that book.
2) Legendary – Don’t get me wrong, I want to read this book really bad because I love, love, loved the first one. However, the paperback of this book isn’t due out this year and my Red Queen series is not consistent between paperback and hardback and I didn’t think that would bother me, but it did (and still kinda does) and so apparently I cannot bring myself to get this in hardback. Which is maybe the pettiest reason to not read a book, but the consistency thing is apparently a big deal for me.
3) The Kids Are Alright – I don’t really think I care about reading this book. I can’t even really remembering my reasoning for putting it on here other than the fact that it had ended up on my to-read shelf in the first place. I don’t have a burning desire to remove it of there…I probably won’t.
4) I am the Messenger – I pre-ordered a completely different Zusak book that is being published later this year and so I might just switch them out. I might read both. I dunno, I’m only sure that I’m gonna own one of them.
5) Generation X – I don’t think I care enough to read this tbh. I have no idea what it’s about, or why it’s there and I don’t really know what to do with it and I’m probably just going to say no altogether.
6) The Crucible – I was always skeptical about this play, I have heard things about this play. Also I have the second Fantastic Beasts script already on pre-order so I can switch out plays and be just fine…
7) Sense and Sensibility – Right, there are some classics that I think I am just more destined to watch then read. This is one of them. Which is odd because I love Austen, but I am just not feeling this. Also me of January called that this would get scrapped, so at least I know myself.
Okay, so these are currently all the books that are facing the chop. They are the ones that I do not care if they get read this year or not. They’ll stay on the shelf for now, but I’m not actively thinking about them. Also, these aren’t even all the ones that are facing the cut. I reassessed this list and there are defo some more that can get got. Also, I am fully aware that the math might not fully work out to get to 70, but in my head I have some subs and a couple of other books that I wanna get read which will bump it up (also I have book 1 of a series and we all know how that could turn out).
I will read 70 books this year. I will.
Anyway, that’s where we’re at with this reading challenge this year. We’re over halfway it felt like a good time to reassess.
Parentheses count: 4. See you tomorrow!
Find me here: