Hi, Hey, Hello!
In my mind this post has been a long time coming. Over the past year I have somehow (and by somehow I mean I have actively spent hours doing so) acquired a lot of lipsticks. I used to own one. A trusty red one that can never really lead you astray, but then something changed within me (cue Defying Gravity being in my head) and I started coveting them. Like all of them. Then I started noticing a trend (actually, I only recently noticed this trend when I spent ages trying to pick one) I started coveting all the darker hues. Seriously, one night I was legitimately sad that I couldn’t find a black lipstick of all things…
Anyway, as it stands this is my lipstick collection (which I had to refrain from adding to earlier today…it was a struggle, I almost caved).
1) Rimmel Alarm – This was my first, and is also probably now my most neglected, lipstick because it all starts with a red. The colour is great, but it doesn’t necessarily have the longevity.
2) Rimmel Amethyst Shimmer – My first foray into colour. It’s a beautiful shimmery purple colour, that again I don’t return to as often as perhaps I should (I think that’s probably a longevity thing again to be honest). Primarily because I forgot it existed…that’s a trend I’ve noticed about myself.
3) Elizabeth Arden Bold Red -This is the second red lipstick that I own. Which is surprising to me to be honest given that red lipstick is what started this mess (in 2013). I got this for free when I signed up for my Glamour mag subscription and I love it. It’s a more classic red, and does what it says on the (gold) tin in terms of being a bold red.
4) MAC Heroine – Right, so this is the start of the MAC problem. It was very much a ‘treat yo self’ thing because it was payday and that is the end of the justification. It is way more purple than I anticipated it being. I mean I love it and it’s great way of injecting colour into an outfit (which most of my outfits need I’m not gonna lie) but the brightness of the purple took some getting used to.
5) MAC Matte Royal – Made an appearance in my life at the same time as Heroine. I knew it would be a deep shade of blue, but it’s the kind of blue that almost looks black and sometimes it’s a bit harsh look wise. But, when you catch it in the right light it’s gorgeous and sold me on the matte MAC lip formula that everyone banged on about. This is also the point where I stop being able to order the way lipsticks entered my life.
6) MAC Viva Glam (Ariana Grande) – This looks almost black in tube but is a very deep purple on the lips. Which enthuses me. It can apply a bit patchy sometimes, but you get there in the end.
7) MAC Evening Rendevouz – I’m not gonna lie, I bought this because it came in a shiny purple tube and is a gorgeous purple colour. But mainly for the tube. It was Christmas…This is maybe my most used lipstick because it is so wearable and not super dark like most of the ones I own but not super bright like Heroine.
8) MAC Dark Side – This is the only Amplified formula lipstick that I own and might be my fave colour…so much so that this happened.
9) MAC Diva – This is literally the same shade as Dark Side, but in a matte formula. This is what happens when you buy things online, they looked like different shades (and were bought at two different times for full disclosure) on the screen and it was only when I looked at them side by side that I realised they were the same shade. The way I see it, I’m not running out of my fave shade any time soon.
10) MAC Long Legged and Fabulous – Okay, confession time; I bought this for the name because it’s grand. It’s really pink. Like super pastel pink. It scares me slightly. I tried it on once and was very undecided. I need to plan a whole outfit around this lipstick.
11) MAC Whirl (Brooke Candy Edition) – I’ve seen a lot about this lipstick and was always a bit skeptical as to how it would look against my skin tone because I worried they were kind of similar. However, as it turns out it is the perfect nude lipstick for me, so winner.
12) MAC Halsey – This little grey number is kind of a gem. First of all it looks great on its own, but it also blends well. My fave thing to do with it is to use a darker (let’s be honest, a purple) lipliner underneath it and then apply the lipstick, because it creates the cool kind of colour that I can’t quite describe but really like.
13) MAC Dangerously Red (Zac Posen) -Third and final red lipstick. It’s a slight more pinky kind of red which suits me just fine, but I like my reds a bit bolder.
14) MAC Witching Hour (Brooke Candy) – This colour is both purple and blue. So naturally I was always going to love it. It’s my most recent addition to my collection and so I haven’t used it as much as some others. But I’m going out on Saturday so it might get a run out then.
And that’s the lot…14 lipsticks and a whole lot of MAC…Honestly most of my lip products are from there, they are my go to. I love them so much. And clearly I love lipstick.
Parentheses count: 14. See you at the weekend!
Find me here: